Staying in the Middle East, Beetroot Falafel and Hummus are the two most loved street food delicacies and actually very versatile dishes as well. Beetroot Falafel, the classic, fried version is what’s typically found everywhere and I prefer to enjoy it the same way but of course, there’s no reason it can’t be baked.
The base of the recipe also lends itself well to adoptions of different beans, spices and veggies. I have used black eyed beans instead of chickpea and with the Beet, it adds a sweet flavor with a vibrant pink color and plenty of nutrition, they are packed with lots of good nutrients including iron.
You can serve these however you like. I usually go for pita, sliced veggies, hummus, garlic sauce and some green chutney. It is often served along with kebab platter.
- Course :
- Servings :
- Description :
Beetroot falafels with pita bread and delicious garlic dip
- 300g black eyed beans
- 2 beetroots roughly chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2-3 garlic pods
- Small piece of ginger
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves chopped
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- Fistful of curry leaves chopped
- 1 lemon finely grated zest
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- To serve
- 3 large pita bread
- ½ cup garlic sauce
- 1 cucumber
- 2 tbsp. green chutney
- Place black eyed beans in a large bowl and soak with water. Soak overnight.
- In a pan sauté beetroot with some salt and herbs for 10-12 minutes. Keep it aside and let it cool.
- Place beans, sautéed beetroot, ginger, garlic, lemon zest and salt in a food processor. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse texture and holds together when squeezed. (Adding any water at this stage would be a spoiler)
- Add chopped onion, coriander, mint and curry leaves into the prepared coarse mixture.
- Using wet hands, shape tablespoons of mixture into balls and flatten slightly.
- Heat oil in a heavy based frying pan over medium heat. Cook Falafel, in batches, for 5 minutes each side, until done.
- Drain on paper towel. Serve with garlic sauce, pita and cucmber.
Follow me on Instagram and on Facebook @mealswithmemories for all my foodie updates and recipes.