Paneer or cottage cheese is a very common ingredient in Indian cooking. While making spring roll, instead of using veggies, I tried filling it with paneer stuffing, and added flavor of Zaatar while baking it, Indeed they are super light, crispy and tender and so palatable!!
For a real deal spring roll, there is no denying that frying is the way to go. However in Ramadan we try to eat healthy and most certainly to bake rather than deep frying. The best way to bake Spring Rolls is to spray cooking oil and back on a rack. They will come out golden all over.
I remember reading a Zaatar Spring Roll recipe somewhere and it made me think of trying a new fusion. After filling paneer spring rolls I knew, I am going to oven bake them. I thought, why not to sprinkle some Zaatar spice on top before placing it to oven. I can still smell that herby aroma around my kitchen.
Zaatar Paneer Spring Rolls
- Course :
- Servings :
- Description :
Paneer Spring Rolls coated with Zaatar, unique and delicious combination.
- 250gms paneer crumbled / grated
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 cup zaatar
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- Fresh mint leaves chopped
- 2-3 green chilies chopped
- 1 tsp. pasta herb
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 10 spring roll shees
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Olive oil for coating
- Herby yogurt dip for serving
- Use the store bought spring roll sheet and thaw as per instruction given in the box.
- For paneer filling, crumble the paneer and take it in a mixing bowl. Add chopped onion, green chilies, coriander leaves, mint leaves, pasta herb, red chili powder, garam masala and salt, mix them well.
- Make a paste using all-purpose flour and water, keep it aside.
- Take a sheet of spring roll; keep it in a diamond shape. Place filling on edge and bring together the left and right edges and then roll in the filling inside the spring roll sheet and conceal the edges with flour paste.
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Brush the spring roll lightly with olive oil or coat them with cooking spray, then sprinkle the zaatar spice.
- Bake in the preheated oven until they are golden brown and crisped on the outside, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with herby yogurt dip.
A very simple and quick recipe, with a little twist, to make it compatible with a healthy trend, keeping the taste the same or even better. I am glad to share this recipe on the right time. As Ramadan has just started, I wish and pray that your iftaar table be filled with all healthy and delicious dishes as your home be filled with purity and blessings from above.
Ramadan Kareem to all❤️