Haleem , Harees or Khichda generally are perceived as the same dish globally but the food lovers know the right distinction about it. If you need the quicker version of, obviously you would opt for Haleem while Khichda is the recipe of patience. Haleem or Harees generally perceived to be originated in the Arab World moved to India along with the traders and Indian subcontinents kept on making additions according to the taste of its likes and developed a much fuller and filling dish where major ingredients like Meat found its way to it and as garnishing fried onions, lemon for digestion to top it.
Khichda has been one of the dishes which you get served in many Indian restaurants while it has been one of the most dish to sell for the road side vendors. Be it the streets of Hyderabad, or Lahore, Mumbai or Delhi some real variety of taste of this dish and each taste would be different and will tingle your taste buds for a while.Khichda has been a dish which is widely accepted for the social gatherings or other large gathering of Ramadan and Moharram in the Muslim world. Preference is due to easy to cook despite the patience and long hours to cook and easy to serve. Khichda is known dish all over the globe among the muslim world but the real taste, flavor and the aroma of the the dish will be found in the Kitchen of Dawoodi Bohra which has developed its own unique style of cooking this dish.
- Course :
- Servings :
- Description :
- 500 grams of lamb meat
- 1 cup of broken wheat
- 1/2 cup of chana
- 1/4 cup Moong Dal
- 1/4 cup Masoor Dal
- 1 cup of oil
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic
- 1 big onion
- 2-3 green chilies
- 2-3 garlic chopped
- 4 tbsp of red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp coriander
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp of garam masala
- turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- For garnishing
- 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander
- 1 small piece of ginger
- 1/2 cup fried onion Birsta
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 chopped green chilies
- Soak the broken wheat over night and lentils for 1- 1 1/2 hours.
- Boil soaked wheat in big vessel with 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste salt and green chilies.
- While wheat is boiling pressure cook meat along with lentils, ginger garlic paste ,salt and dry masala cook until meat is finely done and lentils are nicely mixed with it
- Blend the boiled wheat with big wooden spoon to give it nice luscious texture , you can use hand blender too but this old method to blend it with wooden spoon is the best.
- Add the meat and lentils mixture to boiled wheat ,mix well.
- In a small wok take 1/2 cup oil add chopped garlic and garam masala with all dried spice powder(you can use khichda masala pack which will add extra charm in your dish)
- Pour this fried garlic on top of khichda and mix well again.
- Add 4-5 glasses of water and cook on medium heat.
- keep cooking the mixture by continuously mashing the mixture for another half an hour. This creates the sticky khichda
- Meanwhile deep fry the onions for garnishing on low flame until, light brown and crisp.
Keep aside the Birsta.
- Finally, heat the ghee till smoking, drizzle the ghee on the khichda while serving.
- Garnish with lemon juice, ginger, chopped coriander leaves, and the fried onions.
- Serve hot with naan or Irani Khubz.
Happy Cooking !!!
Stay Connected with my daily food updates on Instagram and Facebook.
Thanks for Reading the post.